Miami – the tourist hotspot in Florida flourishing with not just great shopping but also with events and lots of places to visit. What’s more is that Thanksgiving is just a few nights away and Christmas is right around the corner and by now you must be cramming that family vacation itinerary. However, freestyle planning is great if you have the budget for it.
So the big question now is: Are there any worthwhile activities in Miami for the tourist on a budget?
You’re in luck as the answer’s yes!
Here are just a few things that you could do in Miami without shelling a lot of cash for the trip.
- The Swamp at the Book Fair. If you are a complete geek for all things bibliophile you’re in luck as the Miami Book Fair International in hosting The Swamp. Before you start jumping into conclusion about why would they host something so murky from Friday through Saturday, better think again. In fact, The Swamp is a place in Miami that is dedicated to everything that is local from food to souvenirs. But that’s not all as it also hosts, free performances and presentations all weekend long. Though admission is $8 for adults and $5 for children it is free for all on Friday, so better take note of that.
- Miami Nice Jazz Fest Closing Party. Thanksgiving weekend also marks the end of the Miami Nice Jazz Fest, so if you are a jazz enthusiast you must not miss out on this event. Like every great event, they will be closing with a bang. It will be a free closing night on Sunday at Moreno’s Cuba Restaurant & Club at the Riviera Hotel South Beach with complimentary cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. Performing will be Latin Grammy winner Jorge Moreno.
- Cultural performances. If you’re looking for cultural experience trek over to Little Haiti for Big Night in Little Haiti as every Friday night from 6 to 10 p.m. there will be native Haitian performances and other performances by Lakou Mizik and Zetwal Krevol. If you want more, there is also a Free Brazilian fest by Pompano Beach. It marks as the third annual Brazilian Fest and it runs from 11 a.m. to 10 p.m. and it is free admission.
- Miami Beach. By default if you want to enjoy Miami while not spending too much hit the beach. Miami is after all, is free and open to the public which is a great way to spend quality time with the family. All you need to do is to pack your beach essentials and some sunscreen and you’re good to go!
- Experience art at its best. Aside from its beaches Miami is known for its art scene. From its art deco buildings to its galleries, it is a haven for an artistic spirit and enthusiast. Wolfsonian-FIU art museum is an internationally known museum with free exhibitions on Fridays from 6 to 9 p.m. Another museum with free admission is Miami Dade College Museum of Art and Design.