Interesting facts about Miami
As a way to say goodbye to the summer season we bring you some interesting facts about Miami that you might not know.
1. Did you know that almost 12 million tourists visited Miami in 2009?
2. Do you know how Miami gets its name? Back in the 17th or 18th century a Native American tribe named Mayaimis lived in the region. As a matter of fact their name was taken from Lake Okeechobee, which at the time was called Mayaimis or Big Water.
3. As some may suspect, Miami Beach, before its development in the 1920’s used to be a mangrove swamp.
4. Does Julia Tuttle ring a bell? Who whould have thought that the only major city in the United States of America founded by a woman was Miami. In fact it was Julia Tuttle the founder. Today
we have a causeway and other buildings with her name but not everyone knows the story.
5. Miami Beach was man-made. It used to be a Coconut Grove Plantation.
6. Miami is now home to more than 150 ethnicities and more than 60 different languages are spoken. As one might guess, Spanish is the most common among the population.